I like to make best-lists, top-ten lists of everything, and everytime I find something that I really enjoy, whether it's a book or a movie or a documentary I ask myself if that was worthy, really, of a place in my top-ten chart, or perhaps then in my top-twenty... those names that come to my mind first, I believe, must have a subconscious reason for doing so. And so I am going to give it a try right now. Here is my top chart for fiction books in English!
1. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
2. Middlemarch, George Eliot
3. Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
4. Vanity Fair, William M. Thackeray
5. Jude the Obscure, Thomas Hardy
6. The Old Man and the Sea, Hemingway
7. Farewell to Arms, Hemingway
8. To the Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf
9. The Pickwick Club, Charles Dickens
10. Ulysses, James Joyce
I'm sure I could do many more lists like this one and any one of them would be a fine choice for a top 10 chart. But that's it for now.